The arrival of the railway to Hunmanby

Thankyou to Brian Waining for writing this history and Hunmanby Local History Group. 

Anyone travelling before the coming of the railway would have to ride on horseback, travel by house and coach or walk. 

Horse and Coaches were running a service between Hull and Scarborough. They called at the White Swan Hotel in the village. Several carriers linked Hunmanby with Bridlington and Scarborough.

The arrival of the railway saw an end of the coach service. The North Eastern Railway Company opened the line from Filey to Bridlington on the 20th October 1847. The line from Seamer to Filey had been opened a year earlier, but the making of the long cutting through the chalk near the Dotterel at Reighton had delayed the opening through to Hunmanby.

The railway was used to move large amounts of corn, seed, also deliver milk daily from the creamery in the village to Scarborough and Bridlington. The large warehouses can still be seen where produce was stored on the side of the station opposite the old station buildings. These are now in private ownership and the cottage to the front is oncorporated into one of the former warehouses. 

The railway was also important for the transport of bricks made by Messrs. Whittaker (opened in the 19850's) and an adjoining one by FW Parker in 1900.

F.W. Parker then purchased the Whittaker works in the 1930's, both closed in the 1940's

The station was built more to handle freight than passengers and mainly served the needs of the large agricultural community in the Hunmanby area. 

If you have more information or are interested in History, this is the link to Hunmanby Local History Group Facebook page








Community Web Kit provided free by BT